Special Needs Building
What is Universal Design?
Many people ask “What is Universal Design”? Simply stated these are considerations taken during home design and construction that make accommodations for the occupants individual needs.
Universal Design is a design approach that seeks to create environments, objects, and systems that can be used by as many people as possible. To this end, Universal Design is the process of embedding choice for all people in the things we design.
- Choice involves flexibility, and multiple alternative means of use and/or interface
- People includes the full range of people regardless of age, ability, sex, etc.
- Things include spaces, products, information systems and any other things that humans manipulate or create
Specially Adapted Homes
A custom home is a home specifically designed to create a comfortable environment and meet the needs of its family. Zbranek & Holt Custom Homes prides itself on our ability to understand those needs and build a home that fits your family’s specific needs. Meaningful adjustments are often subtle to the new home design and helpful to the occupant. Examples of these adjustments are:
- Wider Hallways
- Lowered Light Switches and Raised Electrical Plugs
- Roll Under Sinks
- Lower Door Thresholds
- Door Handles vs. Round Knobs
- Roll in Showers and Step in Tubs
- Elevators, either installed or designed for future installation
- Home Automation with web based controls
We also have consultants available to assist us in aiding the hearing impaired. Our system includes American Sign Language translators who remain throughout home construction to assist with all aspects of building a new custom home.
For more information on creative building techniques please visit Universal Design. We would be honored to work with you on a new custom home that accommodates Universal Design concepts.
Click here to see the recent piece by the Wall Street Journal on Universal Design and how this is appealing to younger demographics as well.